steve2112
Feb 22, 09:25 PM
The vexing part of that is that the cost is largely artificial - i.e. taxes. Popular pickups like the Ford F-250 have been available in a diesel for years, and because they are trucks they are allowed to use diesel engines that are far more polluting and sooty than they need to be, and are tuned for torque rather than economy - meanwhile Volkswagen has to jump through flaming hoops in order to certify a diesel in its passenger cars, meeting stringent emmissions standards. And yet how many huge displacement V6/V8 diesel trucks are sold in the US each year vs diesel VWs? It's all about arbitrary regulatory nonsense.
It's a small thing, but also in diesel's favor is the increased range you get from a tank of fuel. So while the cost savings isn't much because of the fuel tax, you still get to go farther.
The heavy duty pickups are generally exempt from light-duty emissions and noise standards, so that's how they get away with it. I agree that it is an unfair advantage. I'm not saying that heavy duty trucks should meet the same standards as cars or light duty trucks, but to have them largely exempt and not counted toward the manufacturer's CAFE standards is a bit extreme.
Anyway, here is my point on the diesel vs. hybrids: After a quick glance around the web, I see the Toyota Prius stats at $23,050 and is rated at 51/48 MPG. The 4 door Golf TDI starts at $23,885 and is rated at 42/30 for the auto. Given the differences in mileage and difference in fuel prices, it is really hard for the average buyer to justify buying a diesel. Yes, I have read all over the internet about people getting insane mileage out of the diesels, but most people are just going to look at the ratings and compare that.
It's a small thing, but also in diesel's favor is the increased range you get from a tank of fuel. So while the cost savings isn't much because of the fuel tax, you still get to go farther.
The heavy duty pickups are generally exempt from light-duty emissions and noise standards, so that's how they get away with it. I agree that it is an unfair advantage. I'm not saying that heavy duty trucks should meet the same standards as cars or light duty trucks, but to have them largely exempt and not counted toward the manufacturer's CAFE standards is a bit extreme.
Anyway, here is my point on the diesel vs. hybrids: After a quick glance around the web, I see the Toyota Prius stats at $23,050 and is rated at 51/48 MPG. The 4 door Golf TDI starts at $23,885 and is rated at 42/30 for the auto. Given the differences in mileage and difference in fuel prices, it is really hard for the average buyer to justify buying a diesel. Yes, I have read all over the internet about people getting insane mileage out of the diesels, but most people are just going to look at the ratings and compare that.
aiqw9182
Mar 24, 03:53 PM
ATI has years developing graphics. Functionality wins over a supposed performance edge.Intel has had years developing graphics as well. That statement by itself really doesn't say anything.
Functionality wins over a supposed performance edge? Your whole argument is based on how Llano is supposedly going to be faster than Sandy Bridge. You have yet to state any OpenCL applications that you are using or plan on using in the future yet suddenly you need it NOW because you saw some AMD propaganda video on their YouTube channel. The fact of the matter is, Llano has a VERY slim chance of coming to Macs so it's high time you get over that video and just enjoy Sandy Bridge if you are only buying computers from Apple. If you really needed that extra power then you wouldn't be buying a machine with only an IGP to begin with.
Right.
Like running the new FF 4 (which appears to trigger the dGPU now for no apparent reason). Or when Safari needs to update its thumbnails and the dGPU kicks on.
:p
Hopefully Apple will improve the switchover to make it more frugal.
Yeah, that's why I said generally, lol.
Functionality wins over a supposed performance edge? Your whole argument is based on how Llano is supposedly going to be faster than Sandy Bridge. You have yet to state any OpenCL applications that you are using or plan on using in the future yet suddenly you need it NOW because you saw some AMD propaganda video on their YouTube channel. The fact of the matter is, Llano has a VERY slim chance of coming to Macs so it's high time you get over that video and just enjoy Sandy Bridge if you are only buying computers from Apple. If you really needed that extra power then you wouldn't be buying a machine with only an IGP to begin with.
Right.
Like running the new FF 4 (which appears to trigger the dGPU now for no apparent reason). Or when Safari needs to update its thumbnails and the dGPU kicks on.
:p
Hopefully Apple will improve the switchover to make it more frugal.
Yeah, that's why I said generally, lol.
vand0576
Sep 1, 01:51 PM
While I write this there are 176 posts already.
Since initially posted (3 hours ago), there have been an average .9 posts per minute with no signs of slowing. This rumor is really keeping everyone here quite entertained. Cheers to slacking off at work on a Friday!
edit: corrected "off"
Since initially posted (3 hours ago), there have been an average .9 posts per minute with no signs of slowing. This rumor is really keeping everyone here quite entertained. Cheers to slacking off at work on a Friday!
edit: corrected "off"
Evangelion
Jul 20, 04:47 AM
I have doubts about this statement.
Leopard will be able to run on all macs from the past several years. Vista requires a relatively new machine.
I doubt it. I bet that Vista will run on several year old machines. You might not get all the bells and whistles, but I don't have all the bells and whistles of Tiger on this Mac Mini of mine either. And since just about all OEM's wil preload Vista on their machines, the sales-numbers will be HUGE. And then we have those who upgrade their existing machines.
Leopard will be able to run on all macs from the past several years. Vista requires a relatively new machine.
I doubt it. I bet that Vista will run on several year old machines. You might not get all the bells and whistles, but I don't have all the bells and whistles of Tiger on this Mac Mini of mine either. And since just about all OEM's wil preload Vista on their machines, the sales-numbers will be HUGE. And then we have those who upgrade their existing machines.
Sladd
Jan 28, 04:25 AM
Just ordered some days ago will probaly arrive in the upcoming weeks, Volvo S60R design. (stock picture)
http://i55.tinypic.com/11guafm.jpg
http://i55.tinypic.com/11guafm.jpg
VyseTheLegend
Sep 11, 06:24 PM
Update: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jRmI98mNZEM
Bestbuy supposedly has the new GripVue for the iPod Touch.
Any idea if they have the Grip Ergo?
Bestbuy supposedly has the new GripVue for the iPod Touch.
Any idea if they have the Grip Ergo?
danielwsmithee
Nov 27, 03:28 PM
If Apple wasn't satisfied with the number of units they were moving, and had a markup far above their (real) competitors, I would think Apple would lower it's prices, don't you? That would be the only way to make money if they weren't actually selling the monitors.Exactly that is why Apple needs a refresh to the prices. We both see eye-to-eye on the quality of their product and it's superiority. I'm just stating that their prices are stale and need a refresh. Something on the order of $499 (20"), $899 (23"), and $1699 (30").

JFreak
Jul 14, 07:43 AM
As to just web-surfing.... In the time of few years my internet-connection has moved from 512KB to 8MB. I could go to 12 or 24MB right now. The speed-increase has been FAST.
I bet your uplink is still 512k and you could perhaps upgrade to 1M, but that's it. Not very fast compared to B-spec ;) I would value a symmetric 2M/2M line more than asymmetric 12M/1M, but maybe that's just me.
I bet your uplink is still 512k and you could perhaps upgrade to 1M, but that's it. Not very fast compared to B-spec ;) I would value a symmetric 2M/2M line more than asymmetric 12M/1M, but maybe that's just me.
timerollson
Feb 20, 03:03 PM
snip
What speakers and how's the bass on them?
What speakers and how's the bass on them?
cublah
Mar 25, 08:43 PM
so you can connect the ipad 2 to your TV and you can use an iPod touch or iPhone as the controller, no cable required :) I believe there are one or 2 games that use the iPhone as a controller on the iPad. I believe Chopper 2 is one of them.
http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/chopper-2/id363912842?mt=8
http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/chopper-2/id363912842?mt=8
bigandy
Jul 14, 03:10 AM
a BTO option would be great.
i'd pop one in if i could afford it- it would be damn useful considering the amount of data i need to archive making films... :rolleyes:
i'd pop one in if i could afford it- it would be damn useful considering the amount of data i need to archive making films... :rolleyes:
vincebio
Oct 23, 07:07 AM
superb...im travelling to states this week, and could pick one up at the apple store 5th avenue for much cheaper than here in uk..
its gottta come out sometime...
its gottta come out sometime...

bobsentell
May 2, 05:53 PM
Man that Windows dialog is horrible. Why is there so much info? Are the file size and image dimensions influencing whether or not I want to delete it? And the classic Windows "Yes" and "No" buttons (instead of having something useful like Cancel and Delete. If that dialog pops up, you have to squint your eyes and look all over until you see "Delete ..." in the upper left corner, then take a second to make sure "Yes" actually means "Delete". And if you want to cancel, should you hit "No" or the X in the top right?
Man, that OS X dialog IS NOTHING like that Aero dialog.
Well, considering the dialog box says "Are you sure you want to delete xxxx?" I think a "Yes" or "No" are the best possible choices.
Man, that OS X dialog IS NOTHING like that Aero dialog.
Well, considering the dialog box says "Are you sure you want to delete xxxx?" I think a "Yes" or "No" are the best possible choices.
Lord Blackadder
Feb 23, 12:44 PM
It's funny because neither GM nor Ford in Europe use their own Diesel engines, instead GM use Fiat engines and Ford use a Peugeot-Citroen engine.
Wonder if this will be the case in this? Chevy in Europe is a very cheap and nasty brand of car, much like Kia (they are re-branded Daewoo's).
The current Cruze is a "world car", but if you plow through the marketing jibberish it appears that the car was engineered mostly by Daewoo with help from Opel. It's being built in Russia, China, South Korea and the USA (Ohio).
The diesel is an Italian (VM Motori) design, and on paper the numbers are pretty good: 150hp and 240 ft-lbs from a 2.0L I4. It's a common rail direct injection turbosiesel.
IMO European manufacturers have had much longer to perfect the technology (i.e. Common Rail Injected Diesel) so GM are up against it here.
The beauty of this move for GM is that the car is already being built in this configuration everywhere except in the US, so minimal design work needs to be done - all that is required is to get the diesel federalized (made US emissions-legal), and that will probably only involve a few small modifications.
So when will automakers sell a compact pickup with a 2 liter diesel in the US? I want a diesel pick up. But I don't want a behemoth that requires a ladder to enter and hogs 2/3 of a 2 car garage.:p
I prefer diesel in a work truck for three reasons: torque, torque and torque.
We almost got such a truck (http://news.pickuptrucks.com/2009/08/taj-mahauler-we-drive-the-mahindra-diesel-pik-up.html), but the whole project fizzled (http://news.pickuptrucks.com/2010/10/report-mahindra-diesel-pickup-truck-launch-in-us-indefinitely-delayed.html).
I don't see any similar vehicle coming to the US soon. For now, if you want a small diesel pickup you either have to buy an old 1970s-1980s Japanese pickup (a few were made as diesels) or do-it-yourself (http://vpizza.org/~jmeehan/toyotadiesel/).
Wonder if this will be the case in this? Chevy in Europe is a very cheap and nasty brand of car, much like Kia (they are re-branded Daewoo's).
The current Cruze is a "world car", but if you plow through the marketing jibberish it appears that the car was engineered mostly by Daewoo with help from Opel. It's being built in Russia, China, South Korea and the USA (Ohio).
The diesel is an Italian (VM Motori) design, and on paper the numbers are pretty good: 150hp and 240 ft-lbs from a 2.0L I4. It's a common rail direct injection turbosiesel.
IMO European manufacturers have had much longer to perfect the technology (i.e. Common Rail Injected Diesel) so GM are up against it here.
The beauty of this move for GM is that the car is already being built in this configuration everywhere except in the US, so minimal design work needs to be done - all that is required is to get the diesel federalized (made US emissions-legal), and that will probably only involve a few small modifications.
So when will automakers sell a compact pickup with a 2 liter diesel in the US? I want a diesel pick up. But I don't want a behemoth that requires a ladder to enter and hogs 2/3 of a 2 car garage.:p
I prefer diesel in a work truck for three reasons: torque, torque and torque.
We almost got such a truck (http://news.pickuptrucks.com/2009/08/taj-mahauler-we-drive-the-mahindra-diesel-pik-up.html), but the whole project fizzled (http://news.pickuptrucks.com/2010/10/report-mahindra-diesel-pickup-truck-launch-in-us-indefinitely-delayed.html).
I don't see any similar vehicle coming to the US soon. For now, if you want a small diesel pickup you either have to buy an old 1970s-1980s Japanese pickup (a few were made as diesels) or do-it-yourself (http://vpizza.org/~jmeehan/toyotadiesel/).
Hey Jude
Apr 10, 04:25 PM
I currently drive a manual transmission car and I prefer them over automatics, but the traffic situation is pretty bad where I live, so my next car will probably be an automatic.
andrewbecks
Apr 21, 01:38 PM
Does anyone have any insight in how the ability of Thunderbolt to daisy chain will be impact by older Mini-DP devices, such as a 27" Cinema Display? Will it be possible or will the 27" Cinema Display be prevented from functioning in a Thunderbolt daisy chain?
I'm holding off on buying an iMac until the refresh, but if I won't be able to use my Cinema Display with Thunderbolt devices, than I may not need to wait.
I'm holding off on buying an iMac until the refresh, but if I won't be able to use my Cinema Display with Thunderbolt devices, than I may not need to wait.
jgould
Feb 27, 06:58 PM
http://farm6.static.flickr.com/5260/5483175217_83c32f59b9_b.jpg
What did you unplug before taking the picture? :o
What did you unplug before taking the picture? :o
andrewbecks
Apr 21, 01:38 PM
Does anyone have any insight in how the ability of Thunderbolt to daisy chain will be impact by older Mini-DP devices, such as a 27" Cinema Display? Will it be possible or will the 27" Cinema Display be prevented from functioning in a Thunderbolt daisy chain?
I'm holding off on buying an iMac until the refresh, but if I won't be able to use my Cinema Display with Thunderbolt devices, than I may not need to wait.
I'm holding off on buying an iMac until the refresh, but if I won't be able to use my Cinema Display with Thunderbolt devices, than I may not need to wait.
BRLawyer
Apr 19, 02:23 PM
I said nothing about wanting to use a slower interface. That would be silly.
Do you think all future USB 3 peripherals will be compatible with TB via an adapter?
That would be great, but why come out with USB 3 on a Mac at all?
Or do you think Apple will skip a USB 3 port altogether?
They will either skip it altogether or perhaps replace all USB 2 ports with USB 3 ones (thus keeping TB as the "advanced" FW equivalent)...
Do you think all future USB 3 peripherals will be compatible with TB via an adapter?
That would be great, but why come out with USB 3 on a Mac at all?
Or do you think Apple will skip a USB 3 port altogether?
They will either skip it altogether or perhaps replace all USB 2 ports with USB 3 ones (thus keeping TB as the "advanced" FW equivalent)...
Eolian
Mar 23, 02:31 PM
You still don't get it. It is having all your music with you. The choice to play anything you feel in the mood to hear , not that you play it all from start to finish.
Exactly ~ does one read every book in the library when they walk in?
The folks that don't understand the Classic, well, they don't understand the Classic :rolleyes:
Exactly ~ does one read every book in the library when they walk in?
The folks that don't understand the Classic, well, they don't understand the Classic :rolleyes:
Stridder44
Nov 27, 02:13 PM
Or get an iMac...:p
Haha seriously, I don't get it either. You could totally get a low end iMac for the combined price of a 17" Apple monitor and a Mac mini.
Hi, my name is Joe and I'm sitting in front of a 30" ACD and I have a 22" ACD beside me. And I'm typing this from home.
I would rather see Apple lower the price of the 20" and keep all of their displays at 20" and higher.
I agree. I have an old 17" iMac (at least mines widescreen and none of this 4:3 crap), and I couldn't see going any lower. Consumer or not, it makes more sense to lower the current monitors (starting from the 20") and keeping things that way. Besides, knowing Apple, they'll charge $599 or something crazy for a 17" monitor anyway...
Haha seriously, I don't get it either. You could totally get a low end iMac for the combined price of a 17" Apple monitor and a Mac mini.
Hi, my name is Joe and I'm sitting in front of a 30" ACD and I have a 22" ACD beside me. And I'm typing this from home.
I would rather see Apple lower the price of the 20" and keep all of their displays at 20" and higher.
I agree. I have an old 17" iMac (at least mines widescreen and none of this 4:3 crap), and I couldn't see going any lower. Consumer or not, it makes more sense to lower the current monitors (starting from the 20") and keeping things that way. Besides, knowing Apple, they'll charge $599 or something crazy for a 17" monitor anyway...
dethmaShine
May 2, 04:21 PM
Don't like.
Maybe that's neat but that's not pc-centric.
It's easier and more convenient to just drop the app in the trash. :|
EDIT: You can do drag and drop in Launchpad http://forums.macrumors.com/showpost.php?p=12500515&postcount=62
Maybe that's neat but that's not pc-centric.
It's easier and more convenient to just drop the app in the trash. :|
EDIT: You can do drag and drop in Launchpad http://forums.macrumors.com/showpost.php?p=12500515&postcount=62
Macnoviz
Jul 18, 01:53 PM
If people still drive to the video store to rent movies, then why are Blockbuster et al. going out of business? Everyone I know uses Netflix, not stores, nowadays, unless they don't have a computer, in which case iTunes is not their target market anyway.
Then you can't know that many people, I think you're forgetting there are still people outside of the US, and over here there still is a huge unexplored market for movie rentals. There are no companies that provide services like Netflix, and stores rule the market. If Apple uses the iTunes name for Movie Rentals, it will be a succes in Europe, either way.
Then you can't know that many people, I think you're forgetting there are still people outside of the US, and over here there still is a huge unexplored market for movie rentals. There are no companies that provide services like Netflix, and stores rule the market. If Apple uses the iTunes name for Movie Rentals, it will be a succes in Europe, either way.
rasmasyean
Mar 20, 07:22 AM
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8F190 Safari/6533.18.5)
I'm very pleased about this- many countries working together following a proper UN resolution. Using air support and missiles but not troops.
This also seems like a good example of cooporation, even though any country with a decent airforce could go it alone against Libyia right now! All sorts of countries involved, with France, UK and US doing most at the moment.
I actually think having troops is better. "Firing missles and bombing" from great distances has a "disconnect" between people. When you have actual people fighting and even dying alongside you, both the citizens and the warriors appreciated it more and form more of a bond between people and cultures. It builds a "comraderee" of sorts and helps secure a pschological future between peoples....whereas, in this case, perhaps the only interaction we really have with Lybians is that the generals and politicians might go to meetings. Something the masses never experience for themselves.
After something like this is over without them actually "enduring victory and suffering" with Westerners hugging them, many Lybians will still think...oh yeah, those are the infidels that helped us get Quadafi with their big guns. :p
And even in the eyes of the opposition, it can have a negative effect in that you don't see them face to face when you kill them. It can be seen as a sign of "weakness" and "chickeness". This is what happened with Clinton shooting tomahawks at Bin Laden and then walking away brushing his hands. When you look in their eyes and shoot them, they know you mean business and respect and fear you as a warrior. Then they might think twice before they try to blow up your buildings when you're not looking. ;)
I'm very pleased about this- many countries working together following a proper UN resolution. Using air support and missiles but not troops.
This also seems like a good example of cooporation, even though any country with a decent airforce could go it alone against Libyia right now! All sorts of countries involved, with France, UK and US doing most at the moment.
I actually think having troops is better. "Firing missles and bombing" from great distances has a "disconnect" between people. When you have actual people fighting and even dying alongside you, both the citizens and the warriors appreciated it more and form more of a bond between people and cultures. It builds a "comraderee" of sorts and helps secure a pschological future between peoples....whereas, in this case, perhaps the only interaction we really have with Lybians is that the generals and politicians might go to meetings. Something the masses never experience for themselves.
After something like this is over without them actually "enduring victory and suffering" with Westerners hugging them, many Lybians will still think...oh yeah, those are the infidels that helped us get Quadafi with their big guns. :p
And even in the eyes of the opposition, it can have a negative effect in that you don't see them face to face when you kill them. It can be seen as a sign of "weakness" and "chickeness". This is what happened with Clinton shooting tomahawks at Bin Laden and then walking away brushing his hands. When you look in their eyes and shoot them, they know you mean business and respect and fear you as a warrior. Then they might think twice before they try to blow up your buildings when you're not looking. ;)
No comments:
Post a Comment