ready2switch
Oct 23, 09:36 AM
Apple needs to get away from making such a big deal our of small updates (processor change) as Intel will have such things changing more often than motorola or ibm ever did. apple should reserve such announcements and hoopla for major revisions or complete overhauls. based on recent benchmarks there is little performance improvement in these new chips save for the speed bump.
Agreed. Exactly why C2D should have been dropped in a month ago alongside the major PC manufacturers. While Merom is a necessary update for Apple's new place in the world of Intel, it's not really that big. Save the hype for enclosure redesigns and other major changes.
Agreed. Exactly why C2D should have been dropped in a month ago alongside the major PC manufacturers. While Merom is a necessary update for Apple's new place in the world of Intel, it's not really that big. Save the hype for enclosure redesigns and other major changes.

THeKiNGs
Mar 30, 03:06 PM
If tonyfailx86 is now a source for rumors, we have to get another "job"...
THe KiNG.
THe KiNG.
fertilized-egg
Mar 24, 11:09 AM
For those of us with large libraries or store our music in uncompressed or at higher bit rates, the Classic is the only game in town.
There are still some quality HDD MP3s, most notably the Cowon X7, http://www.engadget.com/2010/12/01/cowon-x7-pmp-review/
There are still some quality HDD MP3s, most notably the Cowon X7, http://www.engadget.com/2010/12/01/cowon-x7-pmp-review/
balamw
Jun 22, 06:33 PM
In fact, I would much rather see dashboard disappear and iOS take its place, because let's face it; dashboard is worthless due to its horrible implementation.
In many ways, the appeal of iOS for me is that it harkens back to the simpler, days of instant-on 8-bit computers. Even more so than the quick, reliable return form sleep on my Macs that seems unreachable on most Windows boxes.
If this means that I can run iOS apps on my iMac or MB/MBP/MBA (down the line) to quickly send an e-mail or something like that it sounds great to me. I already often reach for my iPhone for simple tasks.
Dashboard "failed" due to a lack of apps, and the same is true of Windows' widgets. Apple has access to a huge assortment of apps (some very useful, others less so) for iOS that would instantly eliminate that problem.
Make it so. Please.
B
In many ways, the appeal of iOS for me is that it harkens back to the simpler, days of instant-on 8-bit computers. Even more so than the quick, reliable return form sleep on my Macs that seems unreachable on most Windows boxes.
If this means that I can run iOS apps on my iMac or MB/MBP/MBA (down the line) to quickly send an e-mail or something like that it sounds great to me. I already often reach for my iPhone for simple tasks.
Dashboard "failed" due to a lack of apps, and the same is true of Windows' widgets. Apple has access to a huge assortment of apps (some very useful, others less so) for iOS that would instantly eliminate that problem.
Make it so. Please.
B

milo
Jul 19, 04:49 PM
No, 75% of Macs sold in the last 3 months were Intels
That's exactly what I meant. I still think that's very impressive.
That's exactly what I meant. I still think that's very impressive.
Erwin-Br
Mar 24, 04:40 PM
Because they suck, and have put up subpar product offerings. Also, those products need a NUCLEAR REACTOR to power and burn houses quicker than gas does.
Okay, so it's more power hungry. Not an issue on a Mac Pro workstation, though. Anything else?
Okay, so it's more power hungry. Not an issue on a Mac Pro workstation, though. Anything else?
AidenShaw
Nov 22, 10:10 PM
This rumor seems to be only a rumor! Its Nov 21st today, when will octos come? Next year i guess... damn it!:mad:
Quad-core chips (and octo-core systems) are available now from the other top tier Intel vendors. Apple not included.
Quad-core chips (and octo-core systems) are available now from the other top tier Intel vendors. Apple not included.

copykris
Nov 23, 06:52 PM
Small Pelican case for my Oakley Glasses, (as seen on the last page of the XIV Purchases Thread)
Have room for another pair too, Maybe I'll find another pair that I like in the future.
http://i229.photobucket.com/albums/ee180/Benguitar2/CameraRoll_1-3.jpg
http://i229.photobucket.com/albums/ee180/Benguitar2/CameraRoll_2-1.jpg
:)
uh...
that seems awful clunky as a container for a pair of sunglasses...
Have room for another pair too, Maybe I'll find another pair that I like in the future.
http://i229.photobucket.com/albums/ee180/Benguitar2/CameraRoll_1-3.jpg
http://i229.photobucket.com/albums/ee180/Benguitar2/CameraRoll_2-1.jpg
:)
uh...
that seems awful clunky as a container for a pair of sunglasses...
Umbongo
Mar 25, 11:40 AM
The PSU on the Mac Pro is rated for 980 W of power, but for simplicity sake let's say 1 kW. Now, factor in the Super drive, Ethernet, Airport, at least 1 HDD and peripheral docks/cards you are looking at ~100 W. Take into account a 20 W per 1GB of memory (assume 6GB) and you've got ~120 W more. So far ~ 220 W more.
DDR3 DIMMs don't consume anything like 20W each. More like 20W for the whole 6 DIMMs you are talking about.
The 6970 uses around 190W at peak load from the reviews I've seen. People already have working 6970s, GTX 480s and GTX 580s on all models of Mac Pros - under windows, but that makes no difference. The power supply is enough to run these cards.
Anyway they still don't work in OS X on the Mac Pro, despite all these news stories: http://forum.netkas.org/index.php/topic,804.0.html
DDR3 DIMMs don't consume anything like 20W each. More like 20W for the whole 6 DIMMs you are talking about.
The 6970 uses around 190W at peak load from the reviews I've seen. People already have working 6970s, GTX 480s and GTX 580s on all models of Mac Pros - under windows, but that makes no difference. The power supply is enough to run these cards.
Anyway they still don't work in OS X on the Mac Pro, despite all these news stories: http://forum.netkas.org/index.php/topic,804.0.html
ericinboston
Apr 26, 12:51 PM
"Amazon" is a generic term and should not be used for a store name.
Amazon is not a generic term. It is, however, the name of a single river on planet Earth...among a few other names/uses ("the Amazon", "Amazon basin", "Amazon Women").
Where else have you seen/heard the term Amazon in a generic sense? Some examples of a generic term are (at least have been generic over the past 75+ years):
light bulb
door
wood
lock
Amazon is not a generic term. It is, however, the name of a single river on planet Earth...among a few other names/uses ("the Amazon", "Amazon basin", "Amazon Women").
Where else have you seen/heard the term Amazon in a generic sense? Some examples of a generic term are (at least have been generic over the past 75+ years):
light bulb
door
wood
lock
sushi
Jul 13, 11:18 PM
I say no thanks. Optical storage is way too slow! Why should I pay $1000 to get a 33GB disc that is slow on accessing when I can spend WAY LESS and use another harddrive thats 300GB+ and rewritable, or buy a 100 pack of DVD-R's for $10? I for one dont see this HD-DVD / Bluray thing getting big anytime soon, and Im sure as hell not going to rebuy my DVD collection, higher res or no higher res, I mean hell... I dont even have an HD TV yet,too damn expensive!
Good points.
Apple - wait on this one please. Just put superdrives in everything and leave the combo drive in the past.
I agree with your concept.
However, I wonder what the actual cost difference is to Apple for a Combo vice Superdrive? Surely it can't be that much.
Good points.
Apple - wait on this one please. Just put superdrives in everything and leave the combo drive in the past.
I agree with your concept.
However, I wonder what the actual cost difference is to Apple for a Combo vice Superdrive? Surely it can't be that much.
mogwia
Oct 24, 06:21 AM
holland down to :) JEEPIE!!! (dreaming of a 17 inch MBP) :) ;) :o :cool:
bigmc6000
Jul 19, 06:14 PM
Good Lord, 9.5 Billion in the Bank!
Dear Apple,
This just makes .Mac sucking that much more incredible.
Please hire some .Mac engineers.
Thanks,
Every Apple User in the World
I've been holding off on .Mac for quite some time. I'd love to use my iWeb as I've got quite a few picture pages I'd like to make but combining the .mac experience with the horrendous price tag I'm stuck uploading to yahoo for free for eternity. PLEASE - no more than $49 for a year, even that is too much IMO but I'll take it...
Side note: AAPL stock up 8.43% in afterhours - within 1 billion of Dell now. *Play Jaws theme song here* :-D (figuring in both stocks after market #'s...)
Dear Apple,
This just makes .Mac sucking that much more incredible.
Please hire some .Mac engineers.
Thanks,
Every Apple User in the World
I've been holding off on .Mac for quite some time. I'd love to use my iWeb as I've got quite a few picture pages I'd like to make but combining the .mac experience with the horrendous price tag I'm stuck uploading to yahoo for free for eternity. PLEASE - no more than $49 for a year, even that is too much IMO but I'll take it...
Side note: AAPL stock up 8.43% in afterhours - within 1 billion of Dell now. *Play Jaws theme song here* :-D (figuring in both stocks after market #'s...)
res1233
Apr 20, 02:46 AM
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_2_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8C148 Safari/6533.18.5)
One step closer to a MBA refresh.
I'll be darned! This is the first post this guy has made in months that hasn't annoyed me! This is a good sign!
One step closer to a MBA refresh.
I'll be darned! This is the first post this guy has made in months that hasn't annoyed me! This is a good sign!

roland.g
Sep 1, 01:39 PM
wouldn't swapping a conroe chip in be an option? just go to Fry's and buy the chip then.
No Yonah and Merom are pin-compatible. Conroe isn't. Need a whole new motherboard.
No Yonah and Merom are pin-compatible. Conroe isn't. Need a whole new motherboard.
hollerz
Feb 27, 02:21 AM
I recall paying the same price for mine as the Mac Pro currently costs. Sheesh! Stupid me. I should've put that money into Apple stock! If I had put the $7k I blew on my Dual 800/22" into Apple shares I could afford a Ferrari right now :(
Being 14 and stupid FTW?
Haha! Hindsight is a wonderful thing. I hate to think how much I've needlessly spent on Apple over the years. Thankfully I think I'm (more or less) past that phase!
Being 14 and stupid FTW?
Haha! Hindsight is a wonderful thing. I hate to think how much I've needlessly spent on Apple over the years. Thankfully I think I'm (more or less) past that phase!
Johnner1999
Jan 2, 08:41 PM
before I get beat-up ...
that picture on Apple site with the light or Sun coming behind th Apple logo... What if Apple is Buying Sun?
Ok kind of lame I guess -- but that is my guess
either-way its 6 nights of sleeplessness
that picture on Apple site with the light or Sun coming behind th Apple logo... What if Apple is Buying Sun?
Ok kind of lame I guess -- but that is my guess
either-way its 6 nights of sleeplessness
vand0576
Sep 1, 01:03 PM
I don't think they'll ever make the iMac very upgradable. While iMac and Mac Pro users tend to be a different type, I still think if they leave to much room for the iMac to grow at a bargain, then there will be no reason for a Mac Pro.
Computer lines (outside of Apple) overlap ALL THE TIME. It seems like all of you are afraid of the iMac outselling the Mac Pro. The smart thing to do is, yes, to make the iMac super-upgradeable but more expensive to do so, something which is probably intuitive anyway. People will then make the choice of an all-in-one or a tower. There is no such thing as a "too powerful" iMac. Apple sets the price, consumers buy.
Computer lines (outside of Apple) overlap ALL THE TIME. It seems like all of you are afraid of the iMac outselling the Mac Pro. The smart thing to do is, yes, to make the iMac super-upgradeable but more expensive to do so, something which is probably intuitive anyway. People will then make the choice of an all-in-one or a tower. There is no such thing as a "too powerful" iMac. Apple sets the price, consumers buy.
crashnburn
Mar 26, 03:51 PM
Awesome news, I recomend the ATI 5870. It can be found for only $200 and it more than holds it's own against the latest and greatest from Nvidia and ATI. It's only 6 percent slower than a 6950. The 6950 on the other hand can be flashed to a 6970 quite easily but it costs abot $260.
Where can I see a comparative of all cards? Or do a comparison of select cards?
Um, I believe credit for this should actually go to netkas:
http://netkas.org/?p=679
He (with rominator) reported over a week ago that the 10.6.6 build with the ThunderBook Pro's can drive PC Radeon 6xxx cards as is.
Is this confirmed or still ...?
this is AWESOME news for all the hackintosh people out there.
Although, my Radeon HD5570 isn't on this 'supported' list, I still got it to work... all resolutions including quartz extreme enabled. :D:D:D
Nice :) What version of OS are you using?
Where I see ThunderBolt being useful is in scenarios where you want to use it at your desk and have all the advantages of a desktop machine. So you put your MBP on your desk and connect via ThunderBolt:
* A drive array with several 3.5" drives, possibly in RAID configuration
* An external video card that is driving a 30" 2560x1600 display with two 1200 x 1920 displays (rotated) on each side of the 30"
You wouldn't bother to use the laptop display for this configuration (I wouldn't at least).
Though, ThunderBolt supposedly allows for daisy-chaining at least 2 monitors, in which case you could run off the laptop's internal video card, but then you need compatible monitors that allow daisy-chaining.
Personally I'd love to see external video cards compatible with ThunderBolt (I use my laptop mostly at my desk), or possibly an enclosure you can put a regular desktop video card in.
I'd like external video cards as well :)
Macrumors needs to seriously consider using this tonymacx86 as a reliable source. As I stated before he gets info from other sources, and this is often highlighted by others
See this quote ex Netkas...
6950 AND 6970 DO NOT WORK IN ANY CURRENTLY AVAILABLE VERSION OF OSX FOR MACS OR HACKS !!!!
THE NEWS STORIES THAT WERE LIFTED FROM HERE ARE INCORRECT !!!!!
DON'T BUY A 69XX CARD UNLESS YOU CAN AFFORD TO WAIT A FEW WEEKS (OR MONTHS) TO USE IT IN OSX !!!!!
OK, done my part. And if you still think they work, go ask your buddy "Tony" how to make them work.
Sad but macrumors - please take more care.
Hmm.. Interesting conflict of information.
Where can I see a comparative of all cards? Or do a comparison of select cards?
Um, I believe credit for this should actually go to netkas:
http://netkas.org/?p=679
He (with rominator) reported over a week ago that the 10.6.6 build with the ThunderBook Pro's can drive PC Radeon 6xxx cards as is.
Is this confirmed or still ...?
this is AWESOME news for all the hackintosh people out there.
Although, my Radeon HD5570 isn't on this 'supported' list, I still got it to work... all resolutions including quartz extreme enabled. :D:D:D
Nice :) What version of OS are you using?
Where I see ThunderBolt being useful is in scenarios where you want to use it at your desk and have all the advantages of a desktop machine. So you put your MBP on your desk and connect via ThunderBolt:
* A drive array with several 3.5" drives, possibly in RAID configuration
* An external video card that is driving a 30" 2560x1600 display with two 1200 x 1920 displays (rotated) on each side of the 30"
You wouldn't bother to use the laptop display for this configuration (I wouldn't at least).
Though, ThunderBolt supposedly allows for daisy-chaining at least 2 monitors, in which case you could run off the laptop's internal video card, but then you need compatible monitors that allow daisy-chaining.
Personally I'd love to see external video cards compatible with ThunderBolt (I use my laptop mostly at my desk), or possibly an enclosure you can put a regular desktop video card in.
I'd like external video cards as well :)
Macrumors needs to seriously consider using this tonymacx86 as a reliable source. As I stated before he gets info from other sources, and this is often highlighted by others
See this quote ex Netkas...
6950 AND 6970 DO NOT WORK IN ANY CURRENTLY AVAILABLE VERSION OF OSX FOR MACS OR HACKS !!!!
THE NEWS STORIES THAT WERE LIFTED FROM HERE ARE INCORRECT !!!!!
DON'T BUY A 69XX CARD UNLESS YOU CAN AFFORD TO WAIT A FEW WEEKS (OR MONTHS) TO USE IT IN OSX !!!!!
OK, done my part. And if you still think they work, go ask your buddy "Tony" how to make them work.
Sad but macrumors - please take more care.
Hmm.. Interesting conflict of information.
Mattsasa
Mar 24, 02:49 PM
Please don't put an AMD 5XXX series into the new iMacs! :(
Why not????
Why not????
walshlink
Mar 28, 03:00 AM
Really newbie? You logged in to tell me that?
I guess you missed the point.
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_2_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8C148 Safari/6533.18.5)
Get a life
I guess you missed the point.
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_2_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8C148 Safari/6533.18.5)
Get a life
Delicious-Apple
Dec 3, 04:48 AM
The iPod will gain a wireless dock (or wireless functionality integrated) so it can communicate with the other components such as iTV and wireless speaker systems that Apple are supposedly experimenting with.
Rocketman
Mar 24, 02:07 PM
Wouldn't it be kinda cool to have a Mac Pro with 3 nCore chips, 3 GPU's, 3 SSD's, and an internal HD RAID?
Kinda makes you wonder why we don't just have a chip and memory combo unit. :D
Rocketman
Kinda makes you wonder why we don't just have a chip and memory combo unit. :D
Rocketman
rnelan7
Feb 28, 10:26 PM
Here is the College setup, I will eventually upgrade to the Logitech Performance wireless mouse. What is seen in the picture:
27" iMac
11.6" Macbook Air
Blackberry Tour
PS3 Slim
Xbox 360 Slim
Picture taken with iPhone 4
Through the door seen is my bathroom and right behind me is my bed and closets. Pretty cozy room but I think I have positioned everything to make the best of it.
EDIT: I just hooked my iMac up to my tv to play movies/shows etc. on but I ran into one problem. I cannot turn my iMac display off and keep my tv on. If anyone knows how to do this please let me know asap!
27" iMac
11.6" Macbook Air
Blackberry Tour
PS3 Slim
Xbox 360 Slim
Picture taken with iPhone 4
Through the door seen is my bathroom and right behind me is my bed and closets. Pretty cozy room but I think I have positioned everything to make the best of it.
EDIT: I just hooked my iMac up to my tv to play movies/shows etc. on but I ran into one problem. I cannot turn my iMac display off and keep my tv on. If anyone knows how to do this please let me know asap!
No comments:
Post a Comment