TangoCharlie
Aug 25, 03:36 AM
http://www.macrumors.com/images/macrumorsthreadlogo.gif (http://www.macrumors.com)
One blog claims (http://www.freemacblog.com/no-to-my-order-again/) that bulk orders for the Mac mini are currently being denied until after Labor Day.
Sheesh! Do we really have to wait 'til May before we can buy any more Mac minis? This smacks of serious mis-management!! :eek:
One blog claims (http://www.freemacblog.com/no-to-my-order-again/) that bulk orders for the Mac mini are currently being denied until after Labor Day.
Sheesh! Do we really have to wait 'til May before we can buy any more Mac minis? This smacks of serious mis-management!! :eek:
PODshady
Nov 15, 09:16 PM
SWEET.... I want one
devman
Aug 6, 11:21 PM
Or when there are multiple threads analyzing a photograph of a banner with dozens of icons on it, and nobody notices the photo also shows (the same) two covered banners. :)
There are actually 3 covered banners on the ground floor.
There are actually 3 covered banners on the ground floor.
Rustus Maximus
May 3, 11:19 AM
"Install" is much better than launching a disc image, opening an applications window, and then dragging the icon over to the other window.
If that 'old' process is too complicated for people then I truly weep for the future.
If that 'old' process is too complicated for people then I truly weep for the future.
kdjc00
Mar 28, 01:19 PM
it will be interesting to see where apple takes that capabilities of this features to expand its gaming line. i hope it expands it to the apple tv. HD 1080p games would be great..

amacgenius
Jan 1, 05:15 PM
The only two I'm betting on are iLife '07 and iTV, because those seem most feasible at this point.
A new Mac Pro and another more in depth Leopard preview would be nice, but I don't think that's in the Pipeline (kudos to those who get the joke).
A new Mac Pro and another more in depth Leopard preview would be nice, but I don't think that's in the Pipeline (kudos to those who get the joke).
Hans Brix
Apr 14, 12:10 AM
I love driving manuals. Don't have one currently, because I needed to trade it in for a minivan. After this is paid off in a year, I'll be looking to purchase a MT car again.
motulist
Aug 7, 04:56 AM
Boy, we are a quite a multinational group. If only the rest of the people in the nations of the world could come together through Macness the way that we all have, then there would be no more wars. Actually, it'd probably just mean we'd have different kinds of wars, like the Nano vs. Video iPod war. :p

puuukeey
Sep 6, 07:18 PM
Why exactly is fixed pricing so important? isn't that.. well.. a bit anti supply/demand? Anyone have any stats on the percentages that bestbuy, a local music/video store, and apple are making on a normal purchase?
-matt
-matt

lifeinhd
Feb 27, 09:43 AM
I recall paying the same price for mine as the Mac Pro currently costs. Sheesh! Stupid me. I should've put that money into Apple stock! If I had put the $7k I blew on my Dual 800/22" into Apple shares I could afford a Ferrari right now :(
Being 14 and stupid FTW?
My parents would've shot me if I'd tried to drop that much $$$ on a computer when I was 14.
As it was, my dad was a little bothered I spent $1400 on a year-old MBP in 2008. But that was when the base MBP was $2k, so it was actually a really good deal :D
And then that Tuesday, the new models came out :p
Being 14 and stupid FTW?
My parents would've shot me if I'd tried to drop that much $$$ on a computer when I was 14.
As it was, my dad was a little bothered I spent $1400 on a year-old MBP in 2008. But that was when the base MBP was $2k, so it was actually a really good deal :D
And then that Tuesday, the new models came out :p
prady16
Oct 23, 09:38 AM
http://www.apple.com/macbookpro/intelcoreduo.html
That no longer exists. Go to the mbp page and click the core duo icon, and I get a page not found.
This will probably change by the time anyone verifies it. :rolleyes:
This has been so for a loooong time now. Probably over a month.
The correct link is: http://www.apple.com/macbookpro/intel.html
I guess the webmaster is just sleeping on the job!
Or is too busy preparing new pages for the *redesigned* MBP! :D
Edit: Oops deputy_doofy beat me to it!
That no longer exists. Go to the mbp page and click the core duo icon, and I get a page not found.
This will probably change by the time anyone verifies it. :rolleyes:
This has been so for a loooong time now. Probably over a month.
The correct link is: http://www.apple.com/macbookpro/intel.html
I guess the webmaster is just sleeping on the job!
Or is too busy preparing new pages for the *redesigned* MBP! :D
Edit: Oops deputy_doofy beat me to it!
AidenShaw
Aug 31, 06:47 AM
I think there are quite a few users who think the same and would like to see a downgraded Mac Pro for switchers who can then keep some of their hardware.
And Intel makes a chip just for that market segment - the Conroe. :D
And Intel makes a chip just for that market segment - the Conroe. :D
Sbrocket
Jan 11, 04:55 PM
Interesting name, corroborates with the poster that came out earlier.
It also, obviously, fits with what's sure to be a very light product. Get it? Something in the air? Hah, I bet we can all tell who was the brainchild behind this...
It also, obviously, fits with what's sure to be a very light product. Get it? Something in the air? Hah, I bet we can all tell who was the brainchild behind this...
tristangage
Nov 26, 05:26 PM
http://www.radphone.info/wp-content/uploads/2010/11/d4125f3e4ezlynrx.jpg.jpg
Wanna know something awesome? (if that game is the same as the one released for xbox/ps3/other consoles,) My brother did the voiceover 'sounds' for Harry Potter in that game :D
.. I say sounds, as there isn't actually any speech, but noises made when jumping, or pushing, or being hit by spells etc were all my brother :)
Wanna know something awesome? (if that game is the same as the one released for xbox/ps3/other consoles,) My brother did the voiceover 'sounds' for Harry Potter in that game :D
.. I say sounds, as there isn't actually any speech, but noises made when jumping, or pushing, or being hit by spells etc were all my brother :)
The Flan Bandit
Jan 12, 11:21 AM
The most obvious reason behind the name MacBook Air for me is the removal of the wired Ethernet connector to the MacBook. There is two thing that prevent from making a very slim notebook: an optical drive and an ethernet connector (look at the ethernet connector on a MacBook, it take most of the height of the notebook).
So the MacBook Air would be the first Apple notebook having only a wireless connection...
And I agree that it will be made of aluminium...
FrenchMac
This sounds right to me about the Ethernet port, and possibly the also-large modem port being gone as well, but I bet there will be some way (a base station thinger or a USB device of some kind) that allows you to use Ethernet if you need to. How else would you set up an Airport with it?
I wonder if people will start calling it an "Air"? As in, "I'm using my Air to check all my emails from dudes pretending to be women on myspace." I'm not sure that sounds so good to me, but I like the name otherwise.
Also, I thought for sure they were going to call the iPod Touch the "airPod." Maybe they were reading my posts. Probably not, though.
So the MacBook Air would be the first Apple notebook having only a wireless connection...
And I agree that it will be made of aluminium...
FrenchMac
This sounds right to me about the Ethernet port, and possibly the also-large modem port being gone as well, but I bet there will be some way (a base station thinger or a USB device of some kind) that allows you to use Ethernet if you need to. How else would you set up an Airport with it?
I wonder if people will start calling it an "Air"? As in, "I'm using my Air to check all my emails from dudes pretending to be women on myspace." I'm not sure that sounds so good to me, but I like the name otherwise.
Also, I thought for sure they were going to call the iPod Touch the "airPod." Maybe they were reading my posts. Probably not, though.

jgould
Feb 23, 11:38 AM
iMark,
Nice and clean. I love simple setups.
Nice and clean. I love simple setups.
cloudnine
Nov 27, 01:42 PM
This may pave the way to larger wide-screens.
I would love to see a 40" widescreen.
Because a 30" cinema display is too small? Because you want to consolidate your TV and computer displays? :confused:
I would love to see a 40" widescreen.
Because a 30" cinema display is too small? Because you want to consolidate your TV and computer displays? :confused:
63dot
Nov 25, 01:07 PM
They're just ****ing sunglasses...
That's what I thought, but I have seen some in the $300 to $400 dollar range, more with precious stones (actually, much much more).
These cool ones are $250 to $400 and quite nice, but so not me. I could never get enticed into high end, multi-purpose glasses unless they came bundled with OS X and I could navigate through it using just my mind. :)
That's what I thought, but I have seen some in the $300 to $400 dollar range, more with precious stones (actually, much much more).
These cool ones are $250 to $400 and quite nice, but so not me. I could never get enticed into high end, multi-purpose glasses unless they came bundled with OS X and I could navigate through it using just my mind. :)
lordonuthin
Mar 31, 04:17 PM
yeah bigadv is great, as long as you have no errors, and a fast machine!
yeah, you are probably right about the mac pro release date. it's too bad though. there are so many people wanting an updated mac pro, and will probably buy a pc instead. and i don't blame them really. it might be a good while before i buy another mac pro. it's hard to justify the price.
you can always run the -oneunit flag and then after it finishes, update.
i don't know, the GTX 480 even at $500 is pretty high. i think i'll wait on that. do you have a double wide slot?
Speaking of errors I updated to 10.6.3 this afternoon and started having kernel panics:( I sent them both in to Apple so maybe we will have a fix soon. I did make some other changes and then removed them to see if that was it but then it was time to go to work... I'll see when I get home. I want to get Ganglia, or something else, up and running to have a way to check on things from work, but...
The MacPro is getting quite expensive but I plan to sell my current one to offset the price, so hopefully I won't pay more than $500-1000 for the upgrade.
I'll wait on the GTX480 too, it's tempting but I want to be able to use Linux and not pay for another copy of Windows, and yes I do have one double wide slot open though I could replace one of the GT260's with it and put the 260 in the "spare" slot.
yeah, you are probably right about the mac pro release date. it's too bad though. there are so many people wanting an updated mac pro, and will probably buy a pc instead. and i don't blame them really. it might be a good while before i buy another mac pro. it's hard to justify the price.
you can always run the -oneunit flag and then after it finishes, update.
i don't know, the GTX 480 even at $500 is pretty high. i think i'll wait on that. do you have a double wide slot?
Speaking of errors I updated to 10.6.3 this afternoon and started having kernel panics:( I sent them both in to Apple so maybe we will have a fix soon. I did make some other changes and then removed them to see if that was it but then it was time to go to work... I'll see when I get home. I want to get Ganglia, or something else, up and running to have a way to check on things from work, but...
The MacPro is getting quite expensive but I plan to sell my current one to offset the price, so hopefully I won't pay more than $500-1000 for the upgrade.
I'll wait on the GTX480 too, it's tempting but I want to be able to use Linux and not pay for another copy of Windows, and yes I do have one double wide slot open though I could replace one of the GT260's with it and put the 260 in the "spare" slot.
Peace
Jul 19, 04:57 PM
Apple pretty much confirmed an iPhone in this call..
He said that cell phones dont play music very well.iPods do and they were doing something about that.
He said that cell phones dont play music very well.iPods do and they were doing something about that.
Multimedia
Nov 18, 11:04 AM
Also, some uses of a program make it easy to use multithreading, and others don't. As an example, if you use Handbrake to do H.264 encoding, it is work for the developers to use multiple cores (it has been posted here that it uses three cores) for encoding a single movie, but it would be absolutely easy to use four times as many cores to encode four movies simultaneously.
Something like that would be perfect if you want to encode four half hour movies, but awful if you want to encode a single two hour movie.I'm sorry but I don't understand what you mean. :confused: I'm kind of anti-H.264 because of how bloated the file sizes get when you use that format and because many viewers don't have H.264 players outside the Mac community. I'd rather target a file size and/or bit rate with good old fashioned universally viewable 2-pass FFmpeg encoding than not be able to do so for an H.264 encode.
My point that Handbrake could use up to 3 cores was that you could have that happening while encoding a DVD image with Toast using another 4 cores if you had an 8-core Mac without a performace-speed hit. As soon as a third process is instigated, all the programs would have to share restricted core limits but get a bunch of stuff done without us having to baby sit the queue.
I am confused by what you think about encoding 4 programs simultaneously vs. one alone. 4 simultaneously will take longer but be possilbe on the 8-core while much slower on the 4-core Macs. While one on a 4-core will do fine by itself, problem is as soon as you start doing anything else, it's speed is compromized while in an 8-core system that would-should not be the case. Does that make any sense?
Something like that would be perfect if you want to encode four half hour movies, but awful if you want to encode a single two hour movie.I'm sorry but I don't understand what you mean. :confused: I'm kind of anti-H.264 because of how bloated the file sizes get when you use that format and because many viewers don't have H.264 players outside the Mac community. I'd rather target a file size and/or bit rate with good old fashioned universally viewable 2-pass FFmpeg encoding than not be able to do so for an H.264 encode.
My point that Handbrake could use up to 3 cores was that you could have that happening while encoding a DVD image with Toast using another 4 cores if you had an 8-core Mac without a performace-speed hit. As soon as a third process is instigated, all the programs would have to share restricted core limits but get a bunch of stuff done without us having to baby sit the queue.
I am confused by what you think about encoding 4 programs simultaneously vs. one alone. 4 simultaneously will take longer but be possilbe on the 8-core while much slower on the 4-core Macs. While one on a 4-core will do fine by itself, problem is as soon as you start doing anything else, it's speed is compromized while in an 8-core system that would-should not be the case. Does that make any sense?
diamond.g
Mar 27, 01:09 PM
All Intel machines going forward with the new Sandy Bridge CPU architecture will be EFI boot like Mac has been for some time. That probably explains why Apple will support off-the-shelf PC GPUs now. :apple:
Curious, where is that from?
Curious, where is that from?
bketchum
Jan 11, 09:22 PM
I like the name. It grabs my imagination immediately. Light as air. The Macworld banner says, �2008. There�s something in the air.� Perhaps the tag is subtly suggesting something new inside the MacBook air - that being a flash drive.
imac_japan
Mar 19, 06:14 AM
WOMBAT indeed!
Look, you don't have to call people names....
I just wanted to state that Apple should go on the Attack !! If it's a wombat then you should go and see Apple's situation outside of America.
In Australia (where Im from), the market is dead ! Most Apple Stores are large and if you ive in the Country - they don't exist. The rest of Asia is like that.
In Japan (where I live), alot of people have an Ipod but NOT a Macintosh...
Apple needs to push the market to get more...
Look, you don't have to call people names....
I just wanted to state that Apple should go on the Attack !! If it's a wombat then you should go and see Apple's situation outside of America.
In Australia (where Im from), the market is dead ! Most Apple Stores are large and if you ive in the Country - they don't exist. The rest of Asia is like that.
In Japan (where I live), alot of people have an Ipod but NOT a Macintosh...
Apple needs to push the market to get more...
No comments:
Post a Comment