0815
Apr 26, 12:47 PM
Make this a part of my current MobileMe $199 family subscription.
I somehow have the feeling the the MobileMe service as we know it will stop to exist. Maybe they will offer some features 'a la cart' or a more expensive buffet option.
I somehow have the feeling the the MobileMe service as we know it will stop to exist. Maybe they will offer some features 'a la cart' or a more expensive buffet option.
flopticalcube
May 1, 10:19 PM
Mission Accomplished now?
Yes. They have yet another martyr to rally the faithful.
Yes. They have yet another martyr to rally the faithful.
playaj82
Jul 27, 01:18 PM
Trademarks must be able to be shown to be in use to be defensible. You cannot simply trademark any name or phrase you want. You have to demonstrate the current or intended future use of the name or phrase.
With regards to "doPod", Apple doesn't need to trademark that, as they could argue that the name of a device that was called a doPod was too similar to their, already trademarked, device called "iPod".
You can file an anticipatory mark. The key is intent to use. For instance, I've developed a product and want to start marketing it, i.e. Zune. I file my mark with the PTO before the product has ever actually entered the stream of commerce. Now getting "real" protection from infringers would require you have used it in commerce rather than intended to use it in commerce. But the PTO doesn't handle infringement, they primarily handle validity.
If I don't use it, oh well, the next person who comes along and uses the mark with their product gets to argue that I never used it in commerce. My point is that the little guy who comes along and uses the mark is better off coming up with something else rather than getting into any legal dispute with a company the size of Apple.
With regards to "doPod", Apple doesn't need to trademark that, as they could argue that the name of a device that was called a doPod was too similar to their, already trademarked, device called "iPod".
You can file an anticipatory mark. The key is intent to use. For instance, I've developed a product and want to start marketing it, i.e. Zune. I file my mark with the PTO before the product has ever actually entered the stream of commerce. Now getting "real" protection from infringers would require you have used it in commerce rather than intended to use it in commerce. But the PTO doesn't handle infringement, they primarily handle validity.
If I don't use it, oh well, the next person who comes along and uses the mark with their product gets to argue that I never used it in commerce. My point is that the little guy who comes along and uses the mark is better off coming up with something else rather than getting into any legal dispute with a company the size of Apple.
fatboyslick
May 4, 04:18 AM
Let's be clear... "Android" is an OS from Google that you can find on dozens of phones from many manufacturers.
Apple knows they can't compete with that. And they're not. Marketshare is not a goal. For instance... Android has more marketshare... now what?
It's Mac vs Windows all over again. Windows is crushing Macs 10 to 1. Dell and HP have sales that dwarf the Mac. But is Apple really in trouble with the Mac?
Apple sells phones... and quite a lot of them. 18 million iPhones last quarter... and 16 million in the previous quarter. Any other manufacturer would kill for those numbers.
If iPhone sales drop to ZERO... then we can talk about Apple rethinking their strategy. Until then... Apple will continue to sell hundreds of thousands of phones every day... further positioning themselves away from bankruptcy.
Indeed - Apple make money from the sale of iphone hardware whereas Google will only take a percentage.
However, Google's plan is to control OS's because they then make money from their App store and adverts
Apple identified this last year and thus released the Ad-Sense scheme for devs to tempt them to use Apple's App Store over Googles.
Apple knows they can't compete with that. And they're not. Marketshare is not a goal. For instance... Android has more marketshare... now what?
It's Mac vs Windows all over again. Windows is crushing Macs 10 to 1. Dell and HP have sales that dwarf the Mac. But is Apple really in trouble with the Mac?
Apple sells phones... and quite a lot of them. 18 million iPhones last quarter... and 16 million in the previous quarter. Any other manufacturer would kill for those numbers.
If iPhone sales drop to ZERO... then we can talk about Apple rethinking their strategy. Until then... Apple will continue to sell hundreds of thousands of phones every day... further positioning themselves away from bankruptcy.
Indeed - Apple make money from the sale of iphone hardware whereas Google will only take a percentage.
However, Google's plan is to control OS's because they then make money from their App store and adverts
Apple identified this last year and thus released the Ad-Sense scheme for devs to tempt them to use Apple's App Store over Googles.
dvdgorila
Sep 14, 09:21 PM
Jigsaw?? Is that you?! :eek:
ROFLMAO
ROFLMAO

samcraig
Apr 29, 04:56 PM
I'm willing to bet you'll see Amazon's share price take a jump again as the media starts to say that Amazon is going to steal iTunes market share. Wall Street just loves market share. I think they just enjoy the controversy. They'll connect Android's growth rate with lowered mp3 costs and figure through some immediate impact that Amazon will steal away iPhone and iTunes customers away in the long run and pull them to the Android platform.
I say that it's not wise to just lower prices if you're going to lose money on every sale. I still believe Wall Street will let Amazon get away with it. I'll stick with Apple's pricing model since I'm sure they know how to balance their books the best. Since the record companies approved of Apple's tiered pricing model, I think Amazon might be sticking its neck out again if this new pricing model isn't approved by the record companies.
I wonder what your response would have been if Apple had reduced their pricing model and Amazon had the higher one....
I'm guessing you'd praise Apple for the strategy. Maybe I'm wrong. But I am sure plenty here would.
I say that it's not wise to just lower prices if you're going to lose money on every sale. I still believe Wall Street will let Amazon get away with it. I'll stick with Apple's pricing model since I'm sure they know how to balance their books the best. Since the record companies approved of Apple's tiered pricing model, I think Amazon might be sticking its neck out again if this new pricing model isn't approved by the record companies.
I wonder what your response would have been if Apple had reduced their pricing model and Amazon had the higher one....
I'm guessing you'd praise Apple for the strategy. Maybe I'm wrong. But I am sure plenty here would.
Dragonfly26
Apr 14, 08:34 PM
http://www.gadgetsdna.com/ios-4.3.2-jailbroken-using-pwnagetool-bundles-heres-quick-jailbreak-guide/10563/ :D
lulla01
Nov 3, 07:27 PM
Why the hell not ?! :)
you have great taste my friend, id love one of these myself.
you have great taste my friend, id love one of these myself.
ghostlyorb
Apr 16, 07:05 AM
I hope this OS is to be bought & downloaded through the App Store and updates come through the generic "software update".
I think it will be on the App Store.. and via a physical disk. I have friends who don't have fast enough internet to even play xboxlive.. and have a high-speed limit of like 500MBs a day. So yeah.
I think it will be on the App Store.. and via a physical disk. I have friends who don't have fast enough internet to even play xboxlive.. and have a high-speed limit of like 500MBs a day. So yeah.
emaja
Mar 10, 09:03 PM
Charlie Sheens new cooking show!
@charliesheen has #winning recipes http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bR8eP9CAQPg&sns=tw
See post #190 :D
@charliesheen has #winning recipes http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bR8eP9CAQPg&sns=tw
See post #190 :D
al256
Jun 6, 12:55 PM
I haven't seen those.To what were they referring?
This would be an example:
sure. apple has no problem giving a refund, as they keep their 30% that the developer now has to pay. that's a cool $300 that apple just ripped off from the developer all to protect their mistake and their idiot customers.
This would be an example:
sure. apple has no problem giving a refund, as they keep their 30% that the developer now has to pay. that's a cool $300 that apple just ripped off from the developer all to protect their mistake and their idiot customers.
.jpg)
Cheerwino
Apr 28, 05:04 PM
This is THE most retarded thread EVER hahaha
Each new thread on the white iPhone becomes increasingly more retarded than the last. It's a retarded iPhone thread arms race that will eventually consume the world in war.
Each new thread on the white iPhone becomes increasingly more retarded than the last. It's a retarded iPhone thread arms race that will eventually consume the world in war.
Jeremy81
Sep 13, 07:36 PM
iPhone 4, Kindle 3, and Apple TV all ordered around the same time. I somehow got lucky received the iPhone overnight(via AT&T) but everything else is still on order(Kindle finally shipping soon). I'm really enjoying the iPhone 4. I've had every other iPhone on release day but decided to try something different prior to this and purchased Nexus One(amazing device and very fast). I stupidly got rid f the Nexus for a Dell Streak which I hated and decided I would switch back to iPhone until the next gen of phones are out.
HappyPig
Oct 24, 08:23 AM
aswitcher, could you explain a bit more to me what you mean by
"802.11n pending firmware upgrade..." since you're the first to mention this at all? Does anyone know if this new MBP will have 802.11n at all (for the iTV)?
"802.11n pending firmware upgrade..." since you're the first to mention this at all? Does anyone know if this new MBP will have 802.11n at all (for the iTV)?

acslater017
Jul 25, 01:04 PM
It seems unlikely that Apple will employ this none-touch technology in the next-gen iPod. Can you imagine how much battery life it would take? Just to prevent fingerprints?
I imagine the full-screen iPod will indeed use a touch-screen in order to increase screen size - but it's impractical to employ motion sensors in a gadget like this, which people use while walking, in their pocket, in their car, etc.
I'm not saying Apple will do this, but a more practical solution would be to coat the touch screen with Durabis (the Blu-ray scratch coating) or something similar so that scratches and fingerprints don't show up. That would be MUCH cheaper, conserve battery life and space, and allow for sort-of tactile-feedback (at least touching a smooth surface) and easy operation - keeping your fingers floating just above it is a novel but inconvenient way of doing things.
I imagine the full-screen iPod will indeed use a touch-screen in order to increase screen size - but it's impractical to employ motion sensors in a gadget like this, which people use while walking, in their pocket, in their car, etc.
I'm not saying Apple will do this, but a more practical solution would be to coat the touch screen with Durabis (the Blu-ray scratch coating) or something similar so that scratches and fingerprints don't show up. That would be MUCH cheaper, conserve battery life and space, and allow for sort-of tactile-feedback (at least touching a smooth surface) and easy operation - keeping your fingers floating just above it is a novel but inconvenient way of doing things.
solafide
Apr 29, 03:19 PM
Gain market share for Amazon. Like last year when they sold MP3 albums at a loss.
Apple has proven that market share does not = profitability. I think Apple's focus is right.
I don't see how market share helps Amazon, in this case, if they are losing money on it and have no off-setting profit generated by the loss.
Also, I wonder when this comes into effect. I was just at the Amazon store and most the music I looked at was at $1.29 or $.99 a song - I only saw one $.69 song. Of course, my tastes don't trend toward a lot of pop.
Apple has proven that market share does not = profitability. I think Apple's focus is right.
I don't see how market share helps Amazon, in this case, if they are losing money on it and have no off-setting profit generated by the loss.
Also, I wonder when this comes into effect. I was just at the Amazon store and most the music I looked at was at $1.29 or $.99 a song - I only saw one $.69 song. Of course, my tastes don't trend toward a lot of pop.
calsci
Jun 9, 08:56 PM
all i have to say is wow.
ericinboston
Apr 11, 02:23 PM
Could this be the eventual end of usb altogether?
nope...USB is gonna be here longer than the floppy disk. USB's already got 15+ years under it's belt. Floppy disk essentially was here from 1978-2000 for the personal computer market. Roughly. 22 years.
Although USB 3.0 is certainly welcome for the faster speeds, it is really not needed for some devices like keyboards, mice, and printers. Again, everyone loves speed, but going to 3.0 is not a need for many devices. Not to mention that going to 3.0 is backwards compatible so there is far far less risk for someone to invest in 3.0 than to move to TB.
My bet is USB will be here easily until 2025...but of course other technologies may limit USB's importance (and thus USB may be for the basic stuff like mouse, keyboards, etc)
nope...USB is gonna be here longer than the floppy disk. USB's already got 15+ years under it's belt. Floppy disk essentially was here from 1978-2000 for the personal computer market. Roughly. 22 years.
Although USB 3.0 is certainly welcome for the faster speeds, it is really not needed for some devices like keyboards, mice, and printers. Again, everyone loves speed, but going to 3.0 is not a need for many devices. Not to mention that going to 3.0 is backwards compatible so there is far far less risk for someone to invest in 3.0 than to move to TB.
My bet is USB will be here easily until 2025...but of course other technologies may limit USB's importance (and thus USB may be for the basic stuff like mouse, keyboards, etc)
cvaldes
Apr 22, 11:11 AM
Of all the things that iPhone needs soon, LTE is not one of them.
We can all wait until its widespread, and usable.
Correct, while most of the world is committed to LTE, commercial grade operational networks are not online in most markets, although deployment is happening right now.
What makes the most sense right now is bumping up the iPhone to HSPA+. Practically all GSM/UTMS markets have commercial networks open for business right now (the U.S. is basically the last), many markets have already gone to their third iteration of HSPA+ (speed increases).
We can all wait until its widespread, and usable.
Correct, while most of the world is committed to LTE, commercial grade operational networks are not online in most markets, although deployment is happening right now.
What makes the most sense right now is bumping up the iPhone to HSPA+. Practically all GSM/UTMS markets have commercial networks open for business right now (the U.S. is basically the last), many markets have already gone to their third iteration of HSPA+ (speed increases).
nobunaga209
Jan 29, 08:54 AM
Getting ready for riding season which is right around the corner. ;)
http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/31C6rvqzbrL._SL500_AA300_.jpg http://images.motorcycle-superstore.com/ProductImages/OG/2007_Scorpion_Faceshield_for_EXO-400_Helmet_Gold_Mirror.jpg http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/51t4C-JcA3L._SS400_.jpg
http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/31C6rvqzbrL._SL500_AA300_.jpg http://images.motorcycle-superstore.com/ProductImages/OG/2007_Scorpion_Faceshield_for_EXO-400_Helmet_Gold_Mirror.jpg http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/51t4C-JcA3L._SS400_.jpg
appleguy123
Jan 25, 10:04 PM
Some books.
http://www.partyopponent.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/05/BlindWatchmaker.gifhttp://images.indiebound.com/570/556/9780060556570.jpg
Hope to read them soon.
http://www.partyopponent.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/05/BlindWatchmaker.gifhttp://images.indiebound.com/570/556/9780060556570.jpg
Hope to read them soon.
MikeTheC
Jan 26, 12:20 AM
Much like stupid users, stock market investors are a whole class of people for whom I have not the slightest bit of pity.
Apple's stock went down basically due to two factors. First, Apple's Stevenote and subsequent quarterly were lackluster. That's under Apple's direct control.
Second, the market was going down anyhow, so it dragged Apple's stock with it. Yet somehow Apple (or any other company) is supposed to react to this? Why? Because a bunch of fickle-minded simpletons want their money after behaving in a way which helped to contribute to lower stock prices? Yech. Give me a break.
Yes, I know the economy is in a slump. Er, downturn. Um, recession. Yeah, whatever. Call it what you will. But why companies have this fear-threat knee-jerk reaction to stock price when it has absolutely nothing to do with what they have done (which, again to be clear, is only 50% true here in Apple's case), I'll simply never know.
I, for one, didn't care for Stevenote '08. I think there should have been other things for Steve to have introduced. And they wouldn't have to be lavishly over-the-top, either. Just good, useful, and desired things. But nevertheless, it's not like I think Apple's leadership suddenly all developed alzheimers' and now *oh my God* the ship's going to run a-ground, oh save us, save us!
Load of crap, the lot of it.
Apple's stock went down basically due to two factors. First, Apple's Stevenote and subsequent quarterly were lackluster. That's under Apple's direct control.
Second, the market was going down anyhow, so it dragged Apple's stock with it. Yet somehow Apple (or any other company) is supposed to react to this? Why? Because a bunch of fickle-minded simpletons want their money after behaving in a way which helped to contribute to lower stock prices? Yech. Give me a break.
Yes, I know the economy is in a slump. Er, downturn. Um, recession. Yeah, whatever. Call it what you will. But why companies have this fear-threat knee-jerk reaction to stock price when it has absolutely nothing to do with what they have done (which, again to be clear, is only 50% true here in Apple's case), I'll simply never know.
I, for one, didn't care for Stevenote '08. I think there should have been other things for Steve to have introduced. And they wouldn't have to be lavishly over-the-top, either. Just good, useful, and desired things. But nevertheless, it's not like I think Apple's leadership suddenly all developed alzheimers' and now *oh my God* the ship's going to run a-ground, oh save us, save us!
Load of crap, the lot of it.
ghall
Oct 24, 09:07 AM
Wow, I seriously want one NOW! All I care about is that 200GB Hard Drive!
ScottInTheOC
Mar 17, 10:19 AM
Any reports from Irvine Spectrum?? Mission Viejo??
I got called in early, couldn't make it. I can leave now, but don't want a repeat of yesterday....
I'm just looking for a 16GB WIFI, Black preferred.... :)
I got called in early, couldn't make it. I can leave now, but don't want a repeat of yesterday....
I'm just looking for a 16GB WIFI, Black preferred.... :)
No comments:
Post a Comment